1. Pick a keepsake or family heirloom that symbolizes a proud moment or great memory. When you know what you'd like photographed, contact us by clicking here to schedule your photoshoot. We will contact you within 24 hours with scheduling.
2. Send your object to our photo studio using insured FedEx, UPS, or USPS. Use a tracking number and plenty of padding. We have a staffed mailroom open 24 hours a day, seven days a week ready to accept your package.
3. On the day of your photoshoot, your object will be treated like fine art. Our process is based on capturing the perfect angle, light, and energy of your object. Shoot time is based on the subject matter and ranges from 4-7 hours.
4. Several versions of your image are emailed to you on the day of your shoot so you can pick your favorite.
5. Once you have chosen the version you want printed, we place your print order.
6. Payment is due once your print order has been placed. We accept all major credit cards, Venmo, and PayPal.
7. Upon payment, your photograph is printed on archival paper at a professional lab. This takes approximately a week. The size of your print is up to you.
8. Your keepsake or heirloom is returned at no cost professionally packed and tracked.
9. Your print is signed and sent to you in about a week.
Do I get to see my photograph before you send it?
Yes. On the day of your photoshoot, we email you several versions of your photograph for you to choose from. If there is anything specific to know about or capture in your heirloom, let us know before you send it.
How do I pay?
Payment is due when your print order is placed. We accept all major credit cards, Paypal, and Venmo. Checks are accepted if they arrive in the same package as your heirloom.
When my photograph arrives, how should I handle it?
Your photograph is fragile. To avoid dents and damage, keep it flat if it is packed that way, or rolled in your tube, until it can be framed. Touch only the corners of the photo if you must and make sure your hands are clean and dry.
What if my photograph arrives damaged?
We will replace a print right away that has been damaged in shipping! Snap a photo of the damage AND THE PACKAGING IT ARRIVED IN and email it to us. A new print will be sent in a week.
Can I have my art framed?
We can coordinate framing and shipping for an additional creative fee. However, framing local, supporting a small business, and picking a frame that fits your taste is the best way to go.
How much does it cost?
It depends on the size of your print. We work with all budgets. Visit our pricing page by clicking here or request a quote here. Rusher orders are 100% possible. Price varies.
Are the prints I see on your site for sale?
Most of our work is private commission and not for sale but others ARE available for purchase. Email us to inquire.
Can I have more than one item in my photograph?
Absolutely! We'll schedule a call to coordinate which items you want to use and how to incorporate them. At that time, creative direction and an additional handling fee will be decided.
I have a question, how do I contact you?
Email us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to schedule a call, we are happy to chat.
Do you offer gift certificates?
YES. You can purchase one by clicking here and submitting a form. You can pay by credit card, Paypal, or Venmo.
Am I responsible for shipping charges?
The only shipping charges you are responsible for are getting your object to our studio via FedEx, Postal Service, or UPS. All other shipping expense is complimentary. Fees may apply to oversized objects.
Who is The Heirloomist?
The Heirloomist is a professional still life photographer with almost 10 years experience in the commercial photography space. Her work has been featured in Rolling Stone, Time, and The New Yorker. Click here to learn more about Shana Novak's work.
Isn't sending an heirloom risky?
Our photo studio has a staffed mailroom waiting for your delivery 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Modern tracking number technology and delivery signature requirements leave little room for trouble. Still, packages should be packed using several layers of thick padding and professional-grade protection. Sender assumes all risk. While in our care, we take every precaution to treat your object professionally. Commissioning a photograph means you understand this and will not hold The Heirloomist liable for damage in shipping or while in our care.
Do you work with international clients?
Yep! Shipping prices apply but we welcome clients from all corners of the word!
Which heirloom should I choose?
If it means something special, it's perfect. It can belong to a family member, friend, yourself, or even a pet.